Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

questions on rights after landlord death

Posted by Keely on November 30, 2000 at 12:44:10:

My grandfather was the owner/ landlord of unfurnished apartments in Dutchess county, ny, but passed away 2 years ago. The estate (house/apartment buldings) has been split between my 2 uncles and I. I was just informed that the place has been sold, and i am trying to find any laws that will help to protect the tenents since my uncle makes about the lousiest landlord around. He has given the "unofficial managers" of the place 5 days to get out of the house.. even though the soon to be new owner said they could remain till January. Can he do this?

How much time in advance does the landlord have to notify the tenents of any sale of the property?
There are nowritten leases for any tenents, my grandfather relied on oral agreements... does this affect anything?

If anyone out there can give me any more helpful info.. i would appreciate it. I am a tenant in an apartment in MD, so i know what it's like to live in apartments. I just want to make sure that the tenents aren't getting the very short end of the stick on this one because of extremly poor judgement made by both my grandfather and uncle.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name