Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Update

Posted by Andra on November 25, 2000 at 20:58:27:

Hi everyone!
Well, my roommate and I have not talked in about a week now, since our discussion about my boyfriend staying over, etc. (see 1st post). The discussion ended well, she even hugged us and asked my boyfriend move her car (he declined) for her. When I saw her the next day (I was coming home from school and she was leaving) and I said my normal hello, she didn't respond...and that was my first clue that something was up (Talk about being fake and two-faced). I came home from some holiday shopping today and most of her family was here. I went upstairs only to find a 30 day notice on my door. I know that one can be asked to leave without giving any reason (even though her reasoning is wrong since I informed her about my boyfriend and our lifestyle before I even signed the agreement and she was okay with it), and I plan to leave (I had planned to before even getting the notice-see my second post). But I feel I have been wronged. I need to know if her renting to me without letting the landlord know that I'm paying rent-see my 2nd post- is illegal and if she can get in trouble. At first I thought that by me not having to go through the landlord was because she wanted me to save the paper work-but now it has been a control issue. She wouldn't let me have the landlord's number even to call about problems with the apt (afraid that I would let it slip that I've been paying rent)...It's a control issue because she doesn't want the LL to find out that I've been paying rent, even though they specifically asked her to inform them when and if I ever did start (they were told that I was a "guest'). So, before I move out, I need to know if that was wrong/illegal for her to do. Again, this is an older buildign with 5-6 2bedroom apts and one studio/studio in the Long Beach, CA area. I think (but I'm not sure) my roommate had a 6 month lease when she and her fiance (now ex) moved in, and after that it went to a MTM agreement. My roommate was here about 1 year before I moved in with her. I'm not sure about rent controll, etc. I hope I provided most of the info. you need to give me some advice.
Thank you,
Andra

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name