Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is Giving Notice or Receiving Notice better?

Posted by Andra on November 23, 2000 at 15:14:02:

Hi Everybody! Happy Turkey Day!
I'm still not sure what to do about my current roommate situation and her rental agreement (please see my last post). I have a feeling, from something I overheard, that my roommate is going to ask me to leave next week, whether I break her new "boyfriend over rule" or not. Is it better to beat her to the punch and tell her I'm leaving before she has a chance to kick me out? Rent is due on the 15th, so I'm paid up until Dec. 15th. If I give her notice next week, that would mean I would need to be out by 12/27...but rent is due on the 15th, so if I'm out before the 15th, do I still need to pay her for the time I won't be here (from the day I move out, ie:12/5,up to 12/27)? Also, I was trying to read up on some of the laws about giving notice, etc. and they all pertain to tenant and landlord situations. The catch is this; my roommate didn't have me go throught the landlord to "save me the hassel and paper work" and told them I was going to be a guest--which was okay with the landlord since it is a 2 bedroom apt and so therefore 2 people can live there. BUT, they also asked her that if I started paying rent, that they would need to know...well, she hasn't done that this whole time I've been living here and paying rent form the first month on. Can she get in trouble?? The building has 6 apartments and one studio, can she be subleasing/subrenting??
I hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend, and I realize I probably won't be hearing back from you until maybe after the holiday... Like I said before, this is really new to me since this was my first place after moving out from my parents' home, and I'm not sure what I can do legally. I feel stuck and stressed at this point, knowing I will be asked to move after the holiday weekend (NOT a good way to spend the holidays), and having to find a place and move before the 15th--right during finals week! Sigh. So, whenever you get a chance...any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, and Happy Eating!!
Andra

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name