Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roommate's rental agreement

Posted by Andra on November 22, 2000 at 10:37:41:

Hi! The person renting the room did not have me go through the landlord of the building, just through her--so the agreement was between her and I. Does that change any landlord/tenant laws as far as issues such as giving notice are concerned? Also, what if there is a difference of interpretation now when there is a conflict? When I first came to look at the room, I informed her that I was in a serious relationship and that my boyfriend might stay over a few nights-on random unscheduled basis (ie one week might be monday, tues, and sat night, and next week he might only be over thurs and friday, etc.)She had no problem with that, even saying that this was my place to and I could come and go and do as I please. Now, 1.5 years later, she is placing a restriction that I can only have him over 1 night during the week, and once on the weekend. If he's over a third night, she'll give me notice. Can she do that?In the written agreement between her and I, it states that occassional guest are ok, not permanent guests though. In my opinion and definition of permanent, I am not violating the agreement because he is not living here, not getting mail here, doesn't have personal belongings here, etc. She disagrees. The fact that he is here on a weekly basis (whether it's one night or two or three) makes him permanent. I feel that I informed her verbally that that would be the case before I even put down a deposit. Plus, when he is over, we are not loud, cause damage, or invade her space in the living room or whereever she happens to be. Does she have the right to give me notice? Does the giving/receiving 30 day notice law apply to this situation since she is not the landlord of the apartment? I pay her rent and utilities on time, keep the place clean and safe, have not done any damage, am quiet, don't party, etc. The only reason she has to ask me to move out is becasue she now, all of a sudden, she has a problem if my boyfriend happens to stay a third night or two consecutive nights.
I know this message is lengthy, and I apologize. This is knew to me and I'm not sure of how to apply the law to this situation. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
Andra

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name