Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Co-tenant responsibility?

Posted by Jim on November 21, 2000 at 11:08:53:

In Reply to: Re: Co-tenant responsibility? posted by   on November 21, 2000 at 09:39:53:

Landlord insisted we have three people on the lease. Once he got the letter from the departing roommate, he started to make arrangements to have the apartment re-listed (which is what he wants anyway). We already moved someone in to take his room -- should I bother with court, or am I wasting my time?

: You and the other remaining co-tenant didn't handle this very well with the landlord. You and the remaining co-tenant should have renewed the lease with the landlord for a 4% (one-year lease) or 6% (two-year lease) increase. You could have brought a third person into the apartment as a roommate, to replace the departing co-tenant.

: You and the remaining co-tenant could sue the departed co-tenant in small claims court, for his share of the rent for November and December -- the last two months of the lease. You might have to attempt to mitigate damages by trying to find a compatible roommate to replace the third co-tenant. You might want to add to your claim additional rent for the period when your departed co-tenant had his girlfriend living in the apartment.

: :
: : Actually, what he did was inform the landlord that ALL of us were moving out at the end of the year. After some begging, the landlord is letting us stay with just a 28% increase in rent. Fortunately for us, that made the place just cheap from super cheap, but that's not the point. How much of an inconvenience would it be to me to take him to Housing Court (I know where to find the guy -- he's still in NYC)? We're only talking about $1500 or so, but I hate to think of this jerk getting off scot-free.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name