Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Can he really charge this much!

Posted by Billie on November 21, 2000 at 09:49:49:

My family and I rented a house last year that was up for sale and had been vacant for several months. In one room there was a very old carpet which smelled of cat urine and while it wasn't torn it was in very poor condition. While we were there the carpet was torn in one small spot which of course we knew we would have to repair or pay for upon leaving. We were unable to repair it because it was so old they nolonger made it so we could not buy a piece to patch it. Being that it was so old we did not expect to have to pay more than one or two hundred dollors for it from our secyrity deposit. Now the landlord is charging us 650.00 saying that we have to pay for replacement not value. We are very upset but have no idea what our rights are. Can we sue him for the money or are we forced to bite the bullet and pay that much? We did alot of work on that house including cleaning out the basement and garage and even thought there was no fridge there when we moved in we left the one we bought (at his request) as he was moving back in himself and would have otherwise have had to buy one. Can any one tell me what I can do?Please!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name