Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roommate responsibility?

Posted by Jim on November 21, 2000 at 08:50:49:

In Reply to: Re: Roommate responsibility? posted by Dawn on November 20, 2000 at 17:55:50:

: If the balance of ex-roomie's rent was paid out by the rest of the roommates, then the landlord may not want to deal with this situation, as it becomes a personal issue between the roommates. You could end up taking the roommate to court to retrieve what's rightfully yours. From the way the roommate situation ended, though, it may not be worth your while -- it sounds like the communication broke down amongst you and he's gone. Well, good riddance. Get the offending, inconsiderate roommate's name off the lease as soon as you can. If you can't put this behind you, then the remaining parties must all decide collectively if going to court is worth the effort and next time, put it in writing what all the current roommates will agree to and have them sign off on it, give copies to everyone, and that way, there is a legal document that you can take to court to prove your case.

Actually, what he did was inform the landlord that ALL of us were moving out at the end of the year. After some begging, the landlord is letting us stay with just a 28% increase in rent. Fortunately for us, that made the place just cheap from super cheap, but that's not the point. How much of an inconvenience would it be to me to take him to Housing Court (I know where to find the guy -- he's still in NYC)? We're only talking about $1500 or so, but I hate to think of this jerk getting off scot-free.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name