Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Treble Damages?

Posted by K. Doe on November 16, 2000 at 01:13:31:

I've seen a few mentions of 'Treble Damages' here and on some other L&T websites. Being a musician, this term takes on a whole different meaning in my head than the one I suppose it actually means.

I'll paraphrase my post from 3 days ago, which was titled "Broom Clean good Condition?" (feel free to read it)

Landlord quite obviously cashed at least half of our $3000 security deposit the day after he received it (illegal). At our walkthrough after we vacated he cited damages that were quite obviously 'reasonable wear and tear' (we left the place in very good condition, and have video to prove it). I told him to send an itemized list of estimated repair/cleaning costs to my lawyer (he's been litigious with us twice before...and lost).

It has been over two weeks since the walkthru and we A) have not heard a peep from him and B) have been notified by his lawyer that they are no longer representing him. We sent him a letter on 11/6 demanding our money back and as of today, 11/16, he has not picked up the certified mail at the post office. We assume he's just blowing it off.

We are planning on suing him for the $3000 (no interest applicable), and also are filing a petition for contempt (Part of a stipulation from one of the litigations he brought on us was that if he played games with the security deposit, he'd be held in contempt of court).

Are we entitiled to anything else here? Do these 'treble damges' come into play in this case?

We're not trying not to be too greedy here, but this bastard has put us through so much, we just want to see him get what's coming to him, while collecting what's coming to us.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name