Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Flooring (Pt. II)

Posted by gary on November 15, 2000 at 01:24:03:

In Reply to: Flooring (Pt. II) posted by Richard on November 14, 2000 at 05:53:08:

I think this is really one of those situations where--yes, you are probably right. But if the landlord is a hardass or nutjob, do you really want the hassle of a fight with him? On balance, it seems you've made a perfectly reasonable decision.
Why does the landlord have to know about it? Just don't advertise it, so he can sleep quietly in his cave or padded cell and not bother you about it. Tip the super generously at Christmas.

: Thanks to those who responded to my question below. I've decided to go ahead and put in the "floating" wood floor, which has recently been prohibited by the landlord as a result of a lawsuit brought by one of the tenants because of water damage to her wood floor.

: What appears to make my floor "legal" is that it is not a change or alteration to the apartment. It's temporary flooring, in that it's not glued or nailed down and causes no damage to the apartment. It's a "wood carpet," in other words.

: However, I'd like to post the relevant clause from my lease, just to make sure I'm safe. It's probably a standard clause. Here it is:

: "Changes and Alterations: Tenant shall make no changes, alterations or improvements of any kind in or to the Apartment without Landlord's prior written consent."

: Is temporary flooring -- flooring that can easily be removed when I leave -- considered a change, alteration or improvement?

: This is so annoying. A friend of mine in the building is putting in the same kind of wood floor as I write this. He's getting away with it because he never mentioned it to the Super. I did, which has turned out to be a big mistake.

: Thanks again for the advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name