Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Flooring (Pt. II)

Posted by Richard on November 14, 2000 at 05:53:08:

Thanks to those who responded to my question below. I've decided to go ahead and put in the "floating" wood floor, which has recently been prohibited by the landlord as a result of a lawsuit brought by one of the tenants because of water damage to her wood floor.

What appears to make my floor "legal" is that it is not a change or alteration to the apartment. It's temporary flooring, in that it's not glued or nailed down and causes no damage to the apartment. It's a "wood carpet," in other words.

However, I'd like to post the relevant clause from my lease, just to make sure I'm safe. It's probably a standard clause. Here it is:

"Changes and Alterations: Tenant shall make no changes, alterations or improvements of any kind in or to the Apartment without Landlord's prior written consent."

Is temporary flooring -- flooring that can easily be removed when I leave -- considered a change, alteration or improvement?

This is so annoying. A friend of mine in the building is putting in the same kind of wood floor as I write this. He's getting away with it because he never mentioned it to the Super. I did, which has turned out to be a big mistake.

Thanks again for the advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name