Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: changed locks, let landlord have access thru 1 door only?

Posted by Ken on November 11, 2000 at 10:37:47:

In Reply to: changed locks, let landlord have access thru 1 door only? posted by mc on November 10, 2000 at 20:20:46:

You can use rope, locks, whatever you wish to secure the back door, but the fact is that if your landlady is unable to access your apartment she has legal reason not to perform repairs and possibly, to take other action against you.

Personally I would never live in an apartment where the landlady continually enters in. Makes me wonder why you have, for so long. I suspect that there is more to the story (what is your roommate doing ?) In regards to your low rent controlled rent, I think this proves that "you get what you pay," in real estate and everything else.

: I'm new to the Internet so pls bear with me. Santa Monica, CA, house Rent-controlled. I've lived here 8 years, landlady has entered illegally repeatedly. I changed the locks on the front & side door, but she never entered through those doors, because I believe long ago she either lost the keys or was never given them. She always used the back door, which a friend jerry-rigged with a pipe and a rope so it couldn't be pulled open from the other side. Now I've received a letter from her lawyer saying you changed the locks, give her a key or else. Can I write to the lawyer & say, "I did not change the lock on the back door, I merely secured it" (or some other word that minimizes my blame, any suggestions?), "please remind her of the law that says (in CA) that a landlord must give 24 hrs notice except in emergency." By law she has to be able to enter the house in an emergency, so I suppose I have to dismantle my rope, but I would prefer that she not have the other key because if she sneaks in it's only one door to watch and listen for. Pertinent facts: the day I changed my frontdoor locks my exroommate came by and got the landlady to let her in. That's when I secured the back door. I see evidence that she has been in (things amiss)and I've also caught her in person on a number of occasions. She's an old lady & I've asked her nicely but until this she continued to enter, sometimes on a daily basis. It has affected my mental health, peace of mind. Spoke w/ the city atty about 6 months ago, they said they could send a tenant harassment letter, but advised caution inasmuch as the landlord could use something my roommate was doing as an excuse and evict us. If I move or get evicted, they could charge a lot more. Would much appreciate any advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name