Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

changed locks, let landlord have access thru 1 door only?

Posted by mc on November 10, 2000 at 20:20:46:

I'm new to the Internet so pls bear with me. Santa Monica, CA, house Rent-controlled. I've lived here 8 years, landlady has entered illegally repeatedly. I changed the locks on the front & side door, but she never entered through those doors, because I believe long ago she either lost the keys or was never given them. She always used the back door, which a friend jerry-rigged with a pipe and a rope so it couldn't be pulled open from the other side. Now I've received a letter from her lawyer saying you changed the locks, give her a key or else. Can I write to the lawyer & say, "I did not change the lock on the back door, I merely secured it" (or some other word that minimizes my blame, any suggestions?), "please remind her of the law that says (in CA) that a landlord must give 24 hrs notice except in emergency." By law she has to be able to enter the house in an emergency, so I suppose I have to dismantle my rope, but I would prefer that she not have the other key because if she sneaks in it's only one door to watch and listen for. Pertinent facts: the day I changed my frontdoor locks my exroommate came by and got the landlady to let her in. That's when I secured the back door. I see evidence that she has been in (things amiss)and I've also caught her in person on a number of occasions. She's an old lady & I've asked her nicely but until this she continued to enter, sometimes on a daily basis. It has affected my mental health, peace of mind. Spoke w/ the city atty about 6 months ago, they said they could send a tenant harassment letter, but advised caution inasmuch as the landlord could use something my roommate was doing as an excuse and evict us. If I move or get evicted, they could charge a lot more. Would much appreciate any advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name