Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent stablization/MOLD?

Posted by Dawn on November 09, 2000 at 12:02:45:

In Reply to: Rent stablization/Mole posted by Terrie Collymore on November 08, 2000 at 15:26:07:

: I live in a landmark, rent stablized building in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I just found out that some of the 9 apartments are rent controlled. (I also have a lease) How do find out if mine is one of the controlled units?

There is a feature on to find out the status of your apartment. you type in your street address and location (Queens, Manhattan, etc.) then let it do the search. If your building appears on the list, it will indicate whether it's rent controlled, stablized, etc. If it doesn't, you may need to do a bit more research. You can contact the Department of Housing & Development in your area and ask them the status of your building, I think they may know too. Have you building license number handy. That's that little set of numbers they have usually in the hallway or lobby or over the front door of buildings, usually. It's a Dept. of Buildings I.D. number.

: I just discovered black mole in some of my closets and on my bedroom wall. When I voiced my concerns to my super that this may be dangerous to my health, he responed with the lame advice to: 1. leave my closets open to air and 2.move the bedroom furniture away from the contaminated wall. Neither solution has worked and I'm still plagued with the mole. Can I call in a city inpsector to have a look and tell me for certain if this is mole is dangerous and can the city make my landlord take corrective action?

I don't believe you meant mole, which is an animal, but MOLD, which is a fungus. Mold is dangerous if you're asthmatic but not something that can't be overcome with a bit of cleaning. You could get some kind of mold cleaner, some good stuff, like the stuff one uses for bathrooms or some heavy duty stuff (from the hardware store) to help get the mold out. You can check for where the moisture is coming from that helps to provide the environment for the mold to grow and caulk and seal the areas where moisture is seeping through. Is the wall in your closet the opposite side of your building wall? If it is, that may explain the moisture forming, as when the inner apartment is very warm and outside it's cold, so the wall "sweats." In the meantime, you may have to keep the closet door open to air it out, as trapped old water and stale air also helps foster the growth of mold.

Meanwhile, write a short, polite detailed note, take some good clear pictures of what's growing on your walls, and send it via certified mail or federal express so you get a signature upon receipt (I prefer fed ex, more expensive but worth every penny) explaining your concern about his wall -- (wall might weaken due to excessive moisture -- which translates to new construction of wall which translates to dollar signs for him to pull out of his pocket) and your concern about your health. Write you'd like to hear from him within 10 days. Wait ten days for a response. Keep a copy of all correspondence in a safe place, like a bank safety deposit box (along with an extra copy of your lease). Look over your lease for any special provisions, just in case. If that doesn't work, call in the inspector.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name