Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

get out of there and keep your money

Posted by the president on November 04, 2000 at 01:15:19:

In Reply to: cash out of lease? posted by Jin on November 03, 2000 at 15:52:33:

: Wondering if anyone knows this is legal: my landlord in MA wants 2 months rent for me to get out of the lease, even though we are moving due to unsafe conditions.

< you do not describe the unsafe conditions nor do you say what's going on other than a landlord offering you to forfeit 2 months rent because he was nice enough to let you live in an unsafe apt. Did you send landlord certified letters advising him of the unsafe conditions and what if anything did they do about it ? You are not obligated to live in unsafe conditions.Unsafe conditions violates the " warranty of habitability" which means that a landlord must provide you with an apt that is safe and livable in. If it isn't you don't pay rent period and you can move out of it without any legal problems. You do not need a lawyer all you need are letters, pictures and witnesses. Those unsafe conditions can also be described as a " constructive eviction ". That means, legally, that the conditions were so unsafe that the apt was unlivable and the conditions evicted you. Be advised that Ken and his ilk are ANTI TENANT posters and they enjoy making you sweat.Do not listen to them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name