Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

what if lease says "no roommates"

Posted by Irena on November 02, 2000 at 13:55:42:

In Reply to: visitors are allowed for 24 hrs or 24 years posted by the president on November 02, 2000 at 11:41:29:

I am one of two people listed on my lease, and my lease states that I cannot have any roommates. So what if you have a lease with 2 people on it, and live in a rent-stabilized apartment in Manhattan, does it still hold true?

: No landlord can tell you that you can or can't have a visitor in your rent stabilized apt. The only condition would apply to a PRIVATE home with restrictions regarding visitors or overnight guests. It may also apply in a sex restricted rental such as a hotel for men or for women only and the lease states that no visitors of the opposite sex may stay in the apt/room overnight or otherwise etc.

: Infact, as a rent stab tenant you have the right to have a roommate without providing the name to the landlord unless landlord asks for the name but the landlord can't prevent a roommate and can't prevent a visitor. If the landlord asks you who the person is you can say a friend/relative whatever but you do not have to answer anymore questions. If he gives you some heat then switch the visitor status to a roommate. In other words, the VISITOR decided to stay and you agreed to have the person as your roommate as a paying or non paying roommate. The payments, if any, go to you and not to the landlord. Landlord can NOT charge you extra for the visitor/roommate.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name