Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: a little property damage.

Posted by Shea on October 28, 2000 at 00:48:19:

In Reply to: a little property damage. posted by Shea on October 24, 2000 at 23:18:31:

: My roommate and I live on the second floor in a 4-story brownstone in Brooklyn. (A brownstone is basically a townhouse). It is in the expensive Fort Green neighborhood and is not rent stabilized. We do not deal with the landlord directly for repairs or problems, but we deal with the realtor himself, who is slow to respond to EVERYTHING. Apparently, the people on the fourth floor have a leaking radiator. They notified the realtor, let's say on a Friday. The people on the third floor did the same. Of course, nothing was done. We noticed Monday night that water was coming from the wall and had wet a few belongings. Since we didn't know about this radiator situation, we had no idea what was going on and have no emergency number to contact this guy, so we left messages at the realty office that night. Basically, a leather attache case and bedroom curtains were damaged. (My roommate's handwritten poetry was also ruined, but I know no one cares about that in a monetary way.) I contend that we should be reimbursed for these items since damage could have been avoided if a) the realtor had responded to the fourth and third floor tenants' complaint sooner or b) he had at least warned us that water would be coming from the wall so we could move things away from it. I asked the realtor if we could get reimbursed and he said he didn't think so. (I think he was laughing at me.) Who is right?

Hey!!! Is my little problem too boring for all of you out there? This happens to be just ONE problem we have with our place. Add them up, and it all equals being annoyed with everything. Help please!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name