Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Heat

Posted by lola on October 24, 2000 at 10:28:55:

In Reply to: Heat posted by Dot on October 23, 2000 at 19:24:07:

call the weather office 976-1212 and check the temperature. If it's 54 or lower, call the city heat complaint number. Their new number is 824-4328, you'l get voice mail. To skip all the background bull press 1, then 3, then 3 again. That will get you right to the operator. Complain about the lack of heat and ask for a boiler and thermostat inspection. Your landlord should be fined $300 per incident. Keep the records of the outside and inside temperature for every complaint. Good luck.

: I know that when the temperature outside is at or below 55 6am to 10pm, the law says the landlord must provide heat to at least 68 (and 55 between 10pm and 6am if below 40). My question is, is there an INDOOR temperature below which the landlord is required to provide heat? Like today, it was 57 outside and I swear it was like 58 inside (I don't have a thermometer--yet). No heat at all, and it was bloody cold. (I work mostly at home, sitting at my desk, and it is really, really uncomfortable.)

: I called the landlord this evening and told him it was too cold. He said it was above 55 today, so no heat (he must have his furnace rigged to some outside thermometer). He's a stingy bastard, but tends to abide by the letter of the law, so if there is any claim I have on tolerable indoor temperatures, it would really help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name