Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: 20%rent increase

Posted by Gary on October 23, 2000 at 12:12:11:

In Reply to: Re: 20%rent increase posted by TenantNet on October 23, 2000 at 02:05:59:

: 3. We can't do the research, but there is case law against rent gouging apart from rent regulation. It might be in the book "The History of the Tenant Movement" available on the web site. I think it was in 1919 or so that ssome of the early tenant protection laws were based on rent gouging. And I've heard there is recent case law similar to this as it applies to the Martin Act (coops). We recommend the poster do some research on this (although gouging might be much more than the increase they are experiencing).

: How about fleshing out these ideas?

Well, I think this person knows by now to find out if he has a DHCR case, so I am not sure how to flesh that one out. It is his responsibility now to research that. If it is an illegal rent increase, I believe the landlord may have to pay out treble damages (no?). The DHCR is acting much swifter than usual nowadays--this person may get a decision by the year 3000, I understand.

Researching the concept of "rent-gouging" is a waste of time under the circumstances, I think.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name