Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

rent gouging

Posted by Chelsea on October 23, 2000 at 11:24:03:

In Reply to: Re: 20%rent increase posted by TenantNet on October 23, 2000 at 02:05:59:

Hmm. Preventing rent gouging is the very essence of rent regulation, Tenant Man. How could there be a law against gouging that isn't rent regulation? The present system of rent control and stabilization, shaped and reshaped by political compromises, resulted from those proposals by the early tenant groups. I'm all for organizing to preserve, improve and expand the system, but it may be a bit much for a tenant who's struggling to understand the basics enough to stay in her home to take on at this point. First things first.

-------------------------

3. We can't do the research, but there is case law against rent gouging apart from rent
regulation. It might be in the book "The History of the Tenant Movement" available on
the web site. I think it was in 1919 or so that ssome of the early tenant protection laws
were based on rent gouging. And I've heard there is recent case law similar to this as it
applies to the Martin Act (coops). We recommend the poster do some research on this
(although gouging might be much more than the increase they are experiencing).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name