Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

A different idea

Posted by Ken on October 23, 2000 at 01:21:32:

In Reply to: Re: 20%rent increase posted by kim on October 22, 2000 at 19:18:44:

You moved into the apartment and accepted it at the "market rate". It sounds like now, after several years of modest increases, your complaint is that the rent increase will be to high -- essentially, beyond what the market will bear (or beyond what you want to pay).

There's an easy solution to that issue that works in any city in the world. Move out. Your action of moving speaks more strongly to the landlord than any complaints to government officials. In choosing another abode, you will also be free to select an apartment at whatever level of rent suits you, and will find out exactly what the "market rate" is. Or maybe, after looking you'll decide that what the landlord is asking is indeed the "fair market rate" and you'll stay. In either case, you'll be the one in control -- rather than laying yourself at the mercy of the DHCR, the landlord, or a city bureacracy, as others have advised you to do.

: : What reason did the landlord state for you going "market rate"?
: I would like to clarigy my situation. I was ALWAYS a market rate unit, but for some reason, I had nominal rent increases using the standard forms. I did call the Dept. of Housing and was told that I could not file a complaint through them, because my lease said I was renting a market rate unit. (There are also lots of rent stabalized units here) My question was if I had any recourse against such an excessive increase. There have been no improvements to my apt. either, while new tenants get new kitchens, bathrooms, etc. I thought that it might be beneficial to hire an attorney to negotiate my next lease, but apparently not. Is there any way that I can officially protest such a steep increase?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name