Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Try a different approach, Mill

Posted by In Favor of Tenant.net on October 22, 2000 at 16:09:20:

In Reply to: Complaining about posted by Millicent on October 22, 2000 at 13:12:06:

I was always told that there are no stupid questions. There are just people at different levels of knowledge in life. That same statement applies to the people who post "stupid" questions on this forum.

I am sure that you can remember when you have knowingly done something and knew that it may not be switched back. However, did that stop you from trying to find out if it could be switched back? Please, ease up, Mill. You come off too harsh. Your personal opinion about a person's level of knowledge should NOT be posted here. Tenant.net is here to help everyone. It shouldn't matter if the person did something and now has a question about changing it, even though it looks like they may have did something to prevent that change. If you think that they have "stupid" questions, please keep that to yourself. We don't need your personal opinions about people on this site. We need information on how to help our fellow tenant. There is no I in Team, brother. If you see what you consider to be "stupid" questions on this site, help inform the tenant by supplying a "smart, educated" answer. Not everyone has your level of common sense as well as your level of insensitivity. Please, reach out in a positive way. You will get more out of being helpful than being harsh.

: I applaud Tenantnet's response below to a complaint that they shoud be "policing" the board. LOL! Obscenity and such should definitely be removed but calling a dumb question what it is is not offense, it's the truth. If you can't handle truthful, forthright assessments, don't participate in discussion forums.

: People need to take the time to educate themselves regaring the shelter that they pay for. Educating yourself is not coming to this board and typing:

: "Help! They're throwing me out. I signed a paper saying they could but I didn't really mean to. What can I do?"

: Too many posters come here expecting others to do research for them and handhold with regard to their particular situation. Why should folks here put more effort into solving someone's problem than that original person with the problem is?

: Why do people sign things and "hope" things turn out okay. That's dumb and whatever problem that tenant is now having is in large part their own creation. Pointing that out to them might make them see how foolish it actually was and perhaps pay more attention in the future. Not pointing it out is a disservice to the tenant who will forever remain ignorant of their own responsibility to get educated about these things.

: No one is expecting people to understand law and code, however, it appears at least to me that a lot of the dumb questions posted on this board could have been answered had the poster taken ten seconds to do a search on Tenantnet before posting.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name