Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: 20% rent increase

Posted by Mark Smith on October 20, 2000 at 11:46:34:

In Reply to: 20%rent increase posted by kim on October 19, 2000 at 20:41:25:

I hate to sound like Richard, but what the hell is wrong with you people? If your initial lease and the first renewal lease treated the apartment as rent stabilized, why would you pay a 20% increase after that? Why didn't you file a complaint with DHCR?

This year, if they ask for a 15% increase, agree to pay the 15%, plus an additional 5% for being so stupid. You don't deserve sympathy or advice.
:
: I live in a building w/450+ units built more than 25 yrs. ago. We are market rate. For the first 3 years we lived here, we were treated as if we were stabilized. (Proper forms, option of a 2 yr.lease, about 4% increases). Last year, our rent went up by 20%, with only a one year lease. This year, I believe they will raise the rent by about 15%. Are there any regulations that govern market rate apartments? Would it be wise and/or cost effective to hire a lawyer to negotiate my next lease, or is all hope lost of staying in Manhattan?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name