Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Get your subjects straight

Posted by MikeW on October 18, 2000 at 15:42:47:

In Reply to: Re: Gentrification is good (Critical opinion) posted by Jake on October 18, 2000 at 12:32:23:

First, I'm talking about gentrification (ie. the 'upscaling' of a neighborhood, usually one that is run down). You seem to be talking about regulation, or the lack thereof. These are basically different subjects, although there are points were the two intersect. For a regulated tenant, gentrification can be a good thing, provided they both follow the rules of the game and are savvy enough to force their LL to follow the rules. Unregulated tenants have to follow the market. That either means paying more to stay where they are, or moving someplace cheaper. Sorry if you don't like that, but that's the way it works.

As far as Gore goes, I don't think so. He was supposed to knock Dubya out in the debates, but that didn't happen. Bush still has a narrow lead. I think it's all downhill for Big Al from here.

: I did some research into this question. I disagree that Gentrification is good. In my case I was paying market rents, then when my landlord decided he did not like me he turned off the power. Without regulations like rent control, landlords will extort and exploit tenants out of there money and generally overcharge tenants for rent. In fact in my situation when I found out that my apartment was stabilized, I found that the only way the landlord would make repairs was when there were city regulations to monitor the landlord.
: I think we should have a poor tax for tenants whereby when landlords drag tenants into court for unreasonable reasons There's a fund to assist tenants to pay for there legal fees. Its the Republican stacked landlords board at DHCR that created a $15 more a month fee(poor tax)on the rent, each month. I think this poor tax is double talk. I thought republicans were anti-tax libertarians?

: I think that when a landlord abuses the process and drags a tenant into court for an unreasonable reason (which is quite common) that there should be a poor tax for tenants.Rent stabilized or not of$15 a month to assist all tenants with all the time and aggravation that tenant has been thru.

: I have voted democratic all my life. Gore will be a great president he will enact laws that will defend the rights of tenants and not corporate America. Vote Gore.

: : It brings:

: : - Increased average income
: : - Increased tax base (both income and property)
: : - Construction of new housing and renonvation / better maintenance of existing housing
: : - Increased activity for local business.
: : - Decrease in crime

: : I'm sick of people complaining about neighborhoods improving.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name