Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Gentrification is good (Critical opinion)

Posted by Jake on October 18, 2000 at 12:32:23:

In Reply to: Gentrification is good posted by MikeW on October 17, 2000 at 17:13:42:

I did some research into this question. I disagree that Gentrification is good. In my case I was paying market rents, then when my landlord decided he did not like me he turned off the power. Without regulations like rent control, landlords will extort and exploit tenants out of there money and generally overcharge tenants for rent. In fact in my situation when I found out that my apartment was stabilized, I found that the only way the landlord would make repairs was when there were city regulations to monitor the landlord.
I think we should have a poor tax for tenants whereby when landlords drag tenants into court for unreasonable reasons There's a fund to assist tenants to pay for there legal fees. Its the Republican stacked landlords board at DHCR that created a $15 more a month fee(poor tax)on the rent, each month. I think this poor tax is double talk. I thought republicans were anti-tax libertarians?

I think that when a landlord abuses the process and drags a tenant into court for an unreasonable reason (which is quite common) that there should be a poor tax for tenants.Rent stabilized or not of$15 a month to assist all tenants with all the time and aggravation that tenant has been thru.

I have voted democratic all my life. Gore will be a great president he will enact laws that will defend the rights of tenants and not corporate America. Vote Gore.

: It brings:

: - Increased average income
: - Increased tax base (both income and property)
: - Construction of new housing and renonvation / better maintenance of existing housing
: - Increased activity for local business.
: - Decrease in crime

: I'm sick of people complaining about neighborhoods improving.

: : CITYWIDE ANTI-GENTRIFICATION DEMONSTRATION AND RALLY
: : Saturday, October 28, 2000

: : 12:30 PM: Assemble at Mt. Morris Park (124th and Fifth Avenue)
: : For March across 125th Street and Rally in Morningside Park (113th Stree)

: : Gentrification is displacing long time residents, tenants, and local businesses out of poor and working class neighborhoods throughout New York City--Harlem, northern Manhattan, Chelsea, Chinatown, the Lower East Side, Park Slope, Bushwick--where rents are out of control. The targeted neighborhoods are predominantly Black, Latino, Asian and working class whites. We demand preservation of existing affordable housing stock such as Public Housing, Section 8 Housing and Mitchell-Lama Housing; significant increases in housing subsidies, rent regulation protections, increase funding for HPD Code Enforcement Unit and a long term affordable housing policy matched with funding.
: : Guest speakers will include union leaders, tenant advocates, community activists and tenants. Drummer, poets, singers and a mime troupe will perform at the rally. Please send in your organization's endorsement of the rally to the Citywide Tenants Coalition - E-mail address: nyctenants@cs.com.

: : We are organizing to build a multi-cultural united front to fight against the sweeping forces of gentrification. JOIN US ON OCTOBER 28TH.

: : CITYWIDE TENANTS COALITION
: : E-mail: nyctenants@cs.com
: : Website: http://nycwidetenants.freeyellow.com

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name