Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Shared Gas Meter

Posted by Mark Smith on October 17, 2000 at 22:18:15:

In Reply to: Shared Gas Meter posted by Bryna on October 17, 2000 at 14:14:34:

As others have pointed out, a flat $18 per month for unlimited gas usage seems like a good deal.

If the landlord is late in reimbursing you for the rest of the gas bill, why don't you suggest to the landlord that you deduct the balance of the gas bill from your monthly rent. Make a copy of the gas bill, and send the original (or the copy) to the landlord, along with a copy of you (cancelled) check to the gas company.

:
: Against my better judgement, I signed a lease for an apartment in Sunnyside Queens with the following clause in the rider to the lease:
: "Boiler is connected to tenant's gas meter. Landlord will reimburse tenant's COn Ed gas bill each month less $18.00/month estimated gas use for cooking by tenant."
: Despite misgivings, I could not convince the landlord to change the clause and took the apartment anyway. I have since found out that shared meters are illegal and that I am not legally obligated to have the gas bill in my name.
: My questions are:
: Even though shared meters are illegal, am I bound to the agreement stated in the lease rider?
: Does anyone have any suggestions about how to bring this up with my landlord? There doesn't seem to be a compromise, either I force her to do it the legal and fair way or I continue to do it in the screwed up way she insists on, which basically has me beholden to her for reimbursement checks along the lines of several hundred dollars a month.
: Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name