Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Unattached Garage Rented to Someone Else BUT Electric on My meter

Posted by Petra on October 17, 2000 at 15:05:59:

Help, please. My Landlord has moved an OLD OLD garage "for my use" onto same lot next to single-family dwelling house I rent in Quad Cities, Illinois. I have lived here for four years, no lease. month-to-month rent. I was concerned with the stability of bldg and asked the Building Inspector what could be done about it. Please note: my LL is not one to take critisism. He is on the list of "know it all" LLs. The BLDG Inspector was NOT impressed with stability of building nor the way it was put on concrete slab; nor the fact that He had no permits. When LL found out I spoke with BLDG Inspector, he told me curtly that I was a terrible person because I GOT HIM into trouble which caused HIM more money and time to get garage ready. (it has been sitting on a flatbed truck on the lot since June). After the electrician connected the wiring (supposebly to a second meter in my basement) I found out that not to be the case. Couple days later, LL was clearing out garage and told me that my car would never seen the inside of garage and when was I moving. I never answered him since he is so wishy washy-- it does not pay. At some point, He put a lock on side door of garage (it also has an electric door opener). My question finally is: If he is renting the bldg to some one else, but using my electric meter, what recourse do I have short of moving which can not affort to yet? Please do not think I am being petty. But who knows, the new renter could have a space heater set up for this winter and since he is not paying electric.... It is alot about ethics. Thanks for any and all assistance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name