Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Mitchell-Lama Co-op Income Guideline rules

Posted by Rebecca on October 17, 2000 at 13:33:53:

I live in a Mitchell-Lama co-op supervised by the DHCR. (3 buildings, 72apts in my bldg - I think built in 1950-something) We are in the Bronx and are required to fill out an annual income affadavit in May of each year. I moved permanently into this apt in 1995 after the death of my grandmother (was there 'temporarily' helping her out before her death.) Last Friday, I received a letter saying they were unable to verify my income for 1998 (yes, I did turn in the affadavit) and I have 60 days to get a particular form from the state gov't verifying my income. If I do not get this information to them, they will backcharge me 50% of the rent from Jan '99 to June '00. Is there not a time limit when verifications can be completed and rent either raised or lowered (ha!)? I'm doing what they've asked because I don't want to be percieved as a "troublesome" "co-operator" but it doesn't seem fair at all.

This, by the way, is on the heels of two very insulting letters sent out in September regarding a rent increase being proposed to the DHCR ($25 per room.) Also, in Sept & Oct the office has called us inquiring where our rent payment was when it was only two days late. Maybe it's me, but I'm feeling more than a little harassed here.

By the way - the lease is STILL in my grandmother's name - even though I've been paying the rent since 1995 and when I got married in 1999, I notified them in writing of a name change and my husband moving in. This latest letter they sent came addressed to me - but my maiden name (as it would've been in 1998.) But EVERY other piece of anything the co-op has ever sent has been addressed to my grandmother.
Thank You!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name