Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: oh please

Posted by TenantNet on October 13, 2000 at 19:44:16:

In Reply to: oh please posted by Ken on October 13, 2000 at 18:15:05:

Well, the landlord could always be telling a fib. But Ken didn't have it really right (and his common sense doesn't seem to be that). Buildings are registered, but so are apartments. DHCR should have a history of the unit. If the unit was previously rent controlled (possible if the tenant had been there since 1971), rent controlled units would have been registered once in 1984, but not necessarily every year as rent stab units must be.

: : we now find out the the apartment hasn't been registered. The other apartments have. how do we know? the landlord told us.

: First of all, apartments in NYC aren't registered ... buildings are. Perhaps you mean to say that this one apartment isn't under rent stabilization and the other ones in the building are ?

: : The landlord is currently trying to boot out the tenant basically because he wants to be greedy and charge 5 times what the aprtment is worth,

: I don't understand. If the owner charges five times what the apartment is worth, no one is going to rent it, therefore he will get no money, that's what greed gets you.

: : I'm a next door neighbor interested in that apartment but not for an exorbitant price.

: So you want the landlord to kick out the present tenant and rent it to you (at a low price, of course) ? Sorry, but we're not going to help you play dirty games or to get an apartment for nothing. If thats what you want then you are on your own, buddy.
:
: : I'm not sure of rent laws any more.

: Just takes a little common sense. For more info, please see my post, "How Not to Rent an Apartment".

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name