Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Broken fridge and freezer, landlord avoiding issue

Posted by Ken on October 10, 2000 at 01:18:45:

In Reply to: Broken fridge and freezer, landlord avoiding issue posted by Rachel on October 10, 2000 at 00:41:02:

I'm rather confused by the end of your posting, but it sounds like you are justly angred at your loss of a fridge. But understand that a repairman does not just appear whenever a landlady or tenant wants him to. Over a holiday weekend, such as this one, it can be very, very difficult to get a good repairperson, at any hour. Repairmen want weekends off too.

Give your landlady another chance tomorrow. You didn't tell us if your present fridge is old or new, if your building is rent stabilized or not, if you have a lease, etc. But being that it will be a normal work day chances are better your landlady can get someone to come.

If you still don't get anywhere then you will have to decide what action to take next. Obvious next step is to send via certified mail notice that refrigerator is not working and requesting repair.

: On friday October 6th my fridge and freezer broke. My husband and I called the landlord as soon as we noticed. She said to write a list of EVERYTHING in the fridge and freezer and throw it all out. We did that and waited for someone to come over and no one showed up. We noticed the problem at 3:30p.m. and waited till about 4:30 at which time we tried to call the landlord again and she wasn't in the office. Her answering machine was also full. So we waited until today (Monday, October 9th) and called her again at 10:00a.m. and told her that no one showed up all weekend to fix the problem. She said she was surprised that no one came and that she would have it taken care of. As of 4:30 this afternoon still nothing had been done, so we tried to call her again, and yet again, she wasn't in the office like she should have been and her answering machine was full again. At that point we called her boss's office, and found out that when we talked to the landlord this morning her boss was there with her. But her boss wasn't in her own office when I tried to call to talk to her about the problem. So then I decided to leave a message with the landlord's boss's office, and then preceded to call my landlord at her apartment complex where she lives. She also runs that complex. When I called her home I got her answering machine and left her a message and figured that at least one of them would get a hold of me some time today and no one has called me yet regarding this problem. I am getting pretty sick and tired of being hungry considering my husband and I haven't eaten very much since Friday, because we now have no food! What can I do about this issue? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name