Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roommate Issues: Revision

Posted by Ken on October 10, 2000 at 01:04:20:

In Reply to: Roommate Issues: Revision posted by David on October 08, 2000 at 13:51:15:

What agreement did you have with them regarding move out ? Written or oral ? When does your lease expire ?

Whatever you do, try to get them out on your own (without resorting to taking legal action). Housing court can take a long time. At the same time, it would probably be illegal for you just to toss out their stuff. Assuming you all don't have a written agreement and they are just renting rooms from you month-to-month the way to kick them out is to give them 30 days notice by certified, registered mail that you are terminating their tenancy. You cannot collect rent for after that time. If they don't leave, get a lawyer WHO REPRESENTS LANDLORDS and take them to housing court.

Consider other options as well. For example, when does your lease expire ? You can just tell everybody that your lease is up and you all must move out. They might buy it. Good luck.

: After reviewing the lease, I noticed that I was mistaken: the roommates are NOT listed as occupants on the lease. My name is the only one on the lease.

:
: : I live in Staten Island with two roommates, both listed on the lease as occupants (not leaseholders). I want them both out. One doesn't pay his bills and owes me almost $1000 for rent/utilities. Tthe other, though he pays his rent and utilities on time, is filthy and brings strangers into the house at all hours (sometimes two or more times in a night). Neither helps around the house with general day-to-day chores (dishes, cleaning bathroom, picking up after themselves, etc.). What do I have to do to get them out? When I spoke to them about the problems I was having with them, they suggested that they could take over the lease and I could move. RIGHT!

: : Do I need to give them notice in writing? Is there some legal process I must follow (i.e. 30-day notice)? What if they refuse to leave?

: : Thanks
: : Dave

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name