Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can I rent a stablized apartment and own a house?

Posted by Richard on October 09, 2000 at 09:33:04:

In Reply to: Can I rent a stablized apartment and own a house? posted by Lisa on October 09, 2000 at 00:25:59:

NO the landlord cannot evict you .BUT HE WILL TRY EVERY TIME YOUR LEASE IS UP FOR RENEWAL..

So plan on legal fees every time it gets close to renewal time.

Second Plan on making yourself noticed.....if you have a doorman,or super say hi and let them know you are alive and still live there.

Third PLAN on spending extra money to keep lights on in the apartment, OH dont forget leave the AC on too when you leave for a couple of weeks...YES they will get your Con Ed bill and if its LOW....uhhhhh where did you live that month? so a $50+ a month con ed bill and $75+ in the summer you can HUSTLE the landlord into beliveing you were still living there..

Never put in a change of address with the post office.....just have a friend check you mail and apartment every couple of days, and foward it to you....

NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY YOUR RENT with an out of state postmark, more then one month!

If you are away for a couple of months let a friend drop the rent in the mail so it has a NYC postamrk, AND DO NOT WRITE THE RENT CHECKS ON CONSECUTIVE CHECKS
Someone was evicted cause she pre wrote (i think) 5 checks all in consecutive order and had a friend mail it in NYC....so void out a couple of checks a month then write the rent checks......

You have to be TWICE as sneaky as the landlord!

=================

: I live in a rent stablized apartment in Manhattan. I'm considering purchasing a beach house as well. My apartment will be my primary residence. I work in Manhattan, vote in Manhattan, and it will remain my address for all mail. I will be spending more than half of my time at this apartment.

: Will my landlord be able to evict me based on the fact that I also own a house?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name