Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Help! I've Rented A Lemon !!!

Posted by Jason on October 04, 2000 at 14:48:08:

Okay, here it is in a nutshell. I have rented a real lemon of a house. I live in Spokane WASH, and just found what I thought was a great 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house for $700 / month - Fair price for this city. The day after moving in, I discover the following wrong with my house:

1> The plumbing is shot. When I use my washing machine, during the cycle when it empties the water out of the machine, it ends up coming out of my floor drain in the laundry room. The sewer pipes were installed wrong, according to a plumber, and this causes the water to drain slower than normal, thus making it back up and overflow the drain in the laundry room.

2> The shower in one of the bathrooms does not work. It is frozen due to mineral buildup, again according to a plumber.

3> The dishwasher does not work

4> 2 of the 4 phone jacks are not working

5> The light socket in the storage room is not operational.

And to top it off, the house wasn't ready on the day they said it would be ready. I show up with my moving truck, and the landlords are still working on the house!!

What can I do? The landlords are 2 chinese people who have a really hard time with english, so communication is difficult enough. I have given them a list of the problems, but have not had a response. Can I withhold rent and fix the problems myself? Also where do I go to find a copy of the certificate of occupancy in Spokane? I can't find what department it would be listed under.

Any help would be great. Please feel free to email me at:

mrjayride@aol.com

Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name