Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Notice to Cure, Termination of Lease, Harassment

Posted by Eduard on October 02, 2000 at 13:02:35:

In mid-January of this year I received a Notice to Cure from my landlord (NYC – 200+ unit building, rent stabilized) saying that I was creating a nuisance by allowing debris to accumulate in my apartment. This charge mystified me and I sent (via certified mail) a letter asking them to explain. They did not respond until they sent me a notice saying my lease was terminated as of April 15th. I had an attorney write a letter pointed out that they had failed to answer my response to their notice to cure. April 15th comes and the Super shows up at 9:00 a.m. with painters to “redo the apartment.” Having received no notice that they wished to paint and not wanting the apartment painted I refused to let them in.

After initially returning my checks saying a holdover proceeding had been filed, the landlord resumed cashing them. Then in July, I received a second notice to cure citing the same alleged “debris” that the landlord had failed to define since January and refusing access to building staff (apparently the “painting” incident).

I again responded (via certified mail) to their notice to cure asking for additional information (which they again failed to answer. September 1st, they returned my rent check saying a holdover proceeding had been started. In fact, there is no record of a holdover proceeding. I’ve just received a second Notice of Termination of my lease.

How long can this harassment continue? What is the best way to approach this matter?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name