Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Ridiculously complicated situation, can I get out?

Posted by Doug on September 30, 2000 at 23:23:45:

In June, my roommate and I found an apartment, went to the broker, paid a 15% fee, first month's rent + 1 month security, and signed a copy of a lease. We were instructed to get the original notorized, and we moved into the apartment. Before we returned a notorized copy, the broker called and said the landlord wanted to raise the rent and we needed to come and sign a new lease, the landlord would not sign our old lease, thereby making us "illegal squatters" on his property. A lot of angry phone calls followed, we refused to sign a new lease at the higher rent. In the meantime, our July rent check, sent to the address indicated on our original lease, was returned stamped "moved, left no forwarding address" or "invalid address" or something similar. When we call our broker, the phone number has been disconnected. It's now almost October and we haven't paid any rent except the initial amount paid to the broker, and we havent heard anything from the broker or the landlord in nearly two months. We now want to move out because we feel the situation is unstable. The only document we signed is a copy of the original lease that the landlord wouldn't sign, and it's not notorized. If the landlord now signs that lease, we bound to that agreement?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name