Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

"Warehousing" Apt's, "Decontrolling" Apt's, & "CorporateApt's"

Posted by T.R. Hall on September 29, 2000 at 08:43:01:

I have TWO questions, that I'd like to get feedback on: ( my building is rent-regulated, with about 80 apt's, total, in Brooklyn).

1. My landlord is keeping apartments VACANT, in what we think may be a prelude to a Co-op/Condo plan. Is this LEGAL, to hold apt's vacant, when Tenant's friends have been turned away when calling to rent them? I sent a letter to the DHCR, telling them about this; They said that there's no provision in the Rent Stabilization Law prohibiting "warehousing" apartments;

2. The LL has also told prospective Tenants that have called wanting to rent these apartments that they are "going to be furnished, and rented as Corporate Apartments, at $2200/month"; These are rent-regulated apartments, and there is no conceivable way these rents could be $2000/month in this building,legally. So, the 1997 Rent Reform Law allowing decontrol by virtue of being vacant and above $2000 in rent should not apply;

What can our Tenants Association do, to fight this situation??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name