Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Paint for Heat... even trade?

Posted by C. Edward on September 23, 2000 at 19:47:05:

(NYC rent stab. tenement ap't.) I don't want to hog the message board, but I had to see if anyone had thoughts on this situation. Over a year ago I asked the landlord for a $600 rent abatement for lack of heat and hot water (documented - over many days), long delays in repairs after a fire upstairs, etc. Basically, I just deducted it from my rent, and the $600 has appeared as "due" every month since then. Also since then, the building has been sold to a new owner. On a separate front, I recently learned that the landlord has to paint the apartment every 3 years. My apartment hasn't been painted in 6 years, and I was the one who painted it then. Since the new landlord wasn't responsible for the lack of heat, hot water, etc. I was going to offer a trade: if he granted me the $600 credit, I wouldn't ask him to paint the apartment. I already bought the paint and I could do it myself. I don't have the time to take him to court and don't want the headache of haggling over it, so I thought this trade would put it to rest. Think he'll go for it? Think it's a bad deal?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name