Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Never even moved in...

Posted by Mark Smith on September 21, 2000 at 00:51:56:

In Reply to: Never even moved in... posted by Alexander Johns on September 19, 2000 at 17:24:24:

Read your lease. There are generally provisions that deal with a delay by the landlord in delivering an apartment. Most form leases allow for a delay of more than 15 days before you can cancel a lease, and you must follow the procedures set forth in the lease in order to cancel the lease.

:
: The situation is as follows: I signed a lease for a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment at $1,000 per month which was to start on September 1st, 2000 (Queens County, NYC). The building manager informed me that the apartment had a few repairs that needed to be made and it should take no more than 10 days to complete and I would be credited with all days that I did not live in the apartment...I agreed. I should note that this was to be my first apt. and I made a couple of large mistakes. Mainly, I signed the lease without seeing the apt. first. This is where the trouble begins...the manager calls me up and tells me that I can move in on the 12th...I go on the 12th and the apt. is not ready...I call him up and inform him and he apolagizes and says that the apt. should be ready by the 15th...needless to say, it was not...I then inform him that I will not be taking the apt. to which he agrees...then he informs me that I will recieve the months rent of $1,000 as a refund but I will lose the entire security deposit of the same amount...again, needless to say, I'm not happy with that and as of this moment am not accepting it...the fact of the matter is, I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to my rights...could anybody tell me what I am entitled to considering I never even moved in...can they keep my security? Are they trying to swindle me out of money? I need help and fast. Thank you in advance...Alex Johns.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name