Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

what can I do

Posted by Karen on September 20, 2000 at 18:27:55:

I live in brooklyn in a brownstone. There is one other apartment and the landlord lives in the basement and first floor. This summer my roommate and I have spent most of the time living somewhere else or cleaning up after workmen. When we moved in last Dec. The landlord said that he wanted to replace the windows and the kitchen floor before we moved in, it didn't happen till this summer basically displacing two people who work from home. When my roommate complained he was nasty but took $500 off of Septembers rent. The windows still were not finished, the workers had not covered anything and everything including my computer was clogged with sawdust. Last week I went out of town and told him that they could come in, I get a message saying that they would be here this week Monday and Tuesday. I get back and the house is in disarray and there are no workmen to be seen. They finally show up and promise to be out at some point this week. The real kicker is that my landlord also tells me that they are not renewing the lease which is up Nov. 30th. My roommate is away until the end of Oct and I was moving anyway before Nov 30th. She had alreay found someone to take over my part of the rent and the woman is living in her room until I move. Today I get a message from my roomate saying that she talked to our landlord who cursed at her and said there was no way he was giving an extention and expressed his annoyance at her giving him a hard time. He claims that he is taking over the apartment for his kids. What can we do. At this point it appears that I'm stuck paying rent for an apartment that I won't be in because the lease isn't being renewed and the new person just can't take it over and my roommate is screwed since that market is so difficult and how is she(they) going to find an affordable apartment in two months or less. Also what does this do to our security deposit? If she decides to stay on after the lease and pay what can he do and what are the consequences to her?

Well that was a mouth full, please help!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name