Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Help! I want to stop MCI increase

Posted by moma on September 18, 2000 at 18:49:29:

Hi. I live in a rent-stabilized NYC apartment and just re-signed my lease for one more year (I looked for another apartment but frankly the rents are out of this world). I just received a notice of an MCI increase of $40 per room and they count my apartment as three rooms.
My landlord is a sleaze. He increased rent from $345 to $995 and "faked" documentation (I am currently contesting this with DHCR). When we first moved to this apartment, we went 6 months w/o proper front door or intercom (we recieved a 50% rent abatement in court). He still has not supplied a super for the building as required by law.
I have a feeling that his MCI increase request is not completely accurate but I can't find too much info on how to fight it. All the dates of service he listed are within two years. And he listed repointing the brick, installing a new front door, new mailboxes and a new intercom.
Here are my questions:
what arguements can I use to fight him?
what constitutes a room? I have a bedroom, living room, bathroom and my kitchen is the hallway as you walk into the apartment. Only the living room and the bedroom have one window each?
can i file "reduction of rent due to reduction in services"? There is still no super as required by law and they still do not respond to service requests in a timely fashion?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name