Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Almost at wit's end

Posted by James Shoo on September 17, 2000 at 18:55:38:

In Reply to: Almost at wit's end posted by Joel on September 16, 2000 at 14:59:08:

As someone who has lived above loud neighbors for months (and is writing this with headphones on because of noise) I sympathize. Given the fact that there are many noise-makers, one of whom is the super, it seems like the landlord doesn't give a damn about noise. Surely you're not the only one who has complained.

Clearly the only option in your case is to get legal advice. That's the only way you can get a copy of your lease, find a way to break it, and find out whether you can withhold rent. An attorney costs something (although there are free and reduced-cost legal services for needy clients), but it would be a lot less than moving out in the middle of the lease then getting sued for back rent plus court costs. I hope one of the attorneys who monitor this list will send their advice.

In the mean time consider using defensive tools like earplugs, earmuffs, air cleaners, air conditioner, and fans. They've helped me a lot. Maybe try to get out of there as much as possible for a week or two to get a break and relax.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name