Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: call DOB Call ACLU

Posted by Kunstler on September 17, 2000 at 14:13:18:

In Reply to: Re: call DOB posted by kristin on September 15, 2000 at 12:42:26:

I would ask your lawyer or the Center of constitutional rights the question, or the ACLU.But private security guards stopping and questioning without a reason if done by the police is a false arrest. Bouncers act like the police but they have no right to arrest anyone. And acting under the color of the law to do this I would think is a form of extortion. Bouncers are just citizens, they can be sued.

: thank you for the advice, and thank you 'kunsler' too. there is a debate over the stabilization status of my building because my nieghobor was given a stablized lease in 1995. the building was sold and the new owner acted as though we were not stabilized. the building, as it turns our was never registered with dhcr. it's 6 units, about 100 yrs old. all the tenants file rent overcharge complaints. the first one (the one with the stabilized lease) won. the rest of us lost and then dhcr overturned her favorable decision. our landlord claimed substantial rehad due to the fact that the building was 'destroyed' by fire in the mid-1980's. we have proof no fire ever occured from the fire dept. also, the building is all original wood, including falling down wrap around staircase. we all got a lawyer and filed a p.a.r. the landlord then tried to evict us and the judge said he wouldn't rule til we had the p.a.r. decision. in the meanwhile we've had no services, and they've been trying to get us out. i'm not kidding when i say that every week it's something new--bouncers from the bar stationed in front of the building asking who everyone is and where they're going, blaring music from the club, one night we had no front doors, and now they're not paying the con ed bill.
: kristin

: : Do call DOB and try to get an inspector about the door and any other conditions at the building. If an inspector doesn't come, keep on calling. Have you asked your city council member for help? Sometimes they can put a little pressure on the Building Department. You should also probably go to the Building Department and check the certificate of occupancy. I don't think they can create a new entrance to the building or an apartment without amending the c of o.

: : Why is there a question of whether it's stabilized or not? And do you have a lawyer?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name