Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord giving nightclub patrons access to building

Posted by Kunstler on September 15, 2000 at 11:07:14:

In Reply to: landlord giving nightclub patrons access to building posted by kristin on September 15, 2000 at 10:12:47:

I have lived in a rent-stabilized apartment for the last 3 years and there’s a nightclub below me. My landlord ran my building like a hotel. It took me a year and a half to get them to fix the front door to the building. Anyone could walk in the building day or night. I would do all the normal things like call the NYS Liquor authority (all those drunk people are unsupervised roaming thru the building causing a hazard to the buildings security.) Or whatever reasons the building can come up with.

There are other options though, this takes much planning though. Perhaps call some of the squatters in the Lower East Side for advice. But, you could barricade the illegal entrance from the buiding to the bar. The tenants could do it as squatters. But you need a carpenter to do this. The squatters have carpenters. I think you could contact the squatters by going to some of there meetings. Their meetings are probably published at Black Art books in Manhattan. I was a squatter years ago.

: i live in manhattan. my landlord also owns the nightclub downstairs and has recently broken through the utility closet in the foyer of our building and made it another entrance to the club. this gives their patrons access to the whole of our common area and our front stoop. my neighbors and i have seen no work permits for this. their workers only show up after 6. does this mean that they are off the clock workers and this is all under the table? the landlord is trying to evict all of the tennants. we've been on rent strike six months now. we are waiting for a decision from dhcr as to whether or not we are stabilized. the judge in housing court won't rule until that has been decided.
: i posed a few questions yesterday that no one has answered: does rent strike/eviction show up on a credit report? has anyone ever had a rent strike that ended in eviction and not had to pay back rent? i have the money but i'd hate to give it to them after all of the things they've done. about every week for the past few months they've tightened the screws on us more.
: please advise. do i call the dept. of buildings? will they come?
: kristin

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name