Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Laws for RoomingHouse/SRO

Posted by Jo Cee on September 13, 2000 at 23:35:22:

I hope that someone will be able to give me some answers or direction:

The situation is in Queens New York, a room is rented in a rooming house. First are there any laws protecting a person who rents a room? My friend has been living there for 4 years and the landlady said he owns too many things and he has to get out. Too many things means he has a computer and a fan that is used in hot weather (NY electric rates have gone thru the roof) and she says her billl is too high. So she gave him 30 days notice. She also wrote on the paper that the building is not under rent control or stabalization laws. (How can one check this) There is a "lease" that can be terminated by either party with 30 days notice, however, this lease was drawn and signed for the sole purpose of assisting in residency documentation when he went to open a bank account. While it is signed, the next question comes as to why the landlady drew up a lease for an amount higher than what he was paying then and even more than he is paying now. (he has all the recipets of rent payment)..t.. She insists on cash rent. Something sounds fishy...While he doesn't wasnt to stay in a place he is not wanted, he is having a hard time finding a place he can afford and time is running out. He needs to buy some time and at the same time he would like to know where to go to find out if this rooming house/SRO is legal, and what the difference is, if any between these to terms . Any direction and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jo

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name