Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: used a friend to be on lease realtor knew.. now problem

Posted by James on September 12, 2000 at 13:05:05:

In Reply to: used a friend to be on lease realtor knew.. now problem posted by Laura on September 11, 2000 at 22:20:32:

It appears that your apartment is not rent stabilized. This would offer you many protections beyond regulated rent increases that I believe are more important. One of the main protections is the right to a renewal lease. The landlord doesn't really have to evict you, they can just wait till your lease runs out and not renew it. Also, the situation with the dog, in that you have a 90-day period from the time they know you have an animal in which they have to file for a holdover I think, though I could be wrong, applies to rent stabilized apartments not to unregulated apartments. The situation of your fiends info being on the lease and not your own is problamatic, and to be honest I'm not sure how this would pan out, but you would have more room to manouver if you were rent regulated. I'm presuming your not, and thus all the power rests with your landlord. Why don't you offer to pay a pet deposit, or something like this. If your not rent regulated, I would avoid a messy fight as you will probably lose, and it will cost you a lot of money, instead try to find some kind of compromise (ie talk to the management company, pay a pet deposit or fee, suck up to the super, anything...). If they push the situation and your paying market rent you could move to another place with your dog. If you are rent stabilized, and the 90-day period has passed with the pet, you might be able to argue that since you were the one who signed the renewal leases not the person who was listed on the original lease this may (not sure though) create a tenent-landlord relationship, or you could have the original fellow declared an illusionary tenent and demand a lease in your name (this will require a lawyer), but if your not rent-stab, then this is probably futile.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name