Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

O Boy what I can tell you!!

Posted by Kerry on September 06, 2000 at 05:39:47:

In Reply to: filthy crazy neighbor posted by Michelle on September 05, 2000 at 16:10:08:

It seems like there a million crazies in New York city. So what can you do if one of them is living next door!? Complain like crazy to the landlord, yes. But what can he do? One of the hardest things to do is to prove someone is mentally incompetant. And it's difficult for a reason. It's to prevent the hospitalising of anybody who may behave abberantly. The entire system is set up with fail safes to prevent someone from being labled crazy. So many a landlord have tried and many have failed, it is near immpossible, especially when the courts believe the landlord is motivated to get a person out of one of their apartments. (I think you can see the obvious catch 22) If you really think she is mentally unfit the next step would be to contact her family, if they can do nothing the next step is Protective Services. They can give her a City authorized Psych Evaluation, if she is found incompetant then she will be appointed a guardian, either a family member or the city, state, etc.

The question is, who's responsibility is it to do all these things? In other words, taking the time and energy to take a personal interest in this person's life and to stroll knee deep into it. Okay so she is doing evictable things, and the landlord shows cause for eviction. She goes to court and shows the judge all her medicine bottles and a note from her doctor stating she had a minor setback because of a dosage proplem but now she is doing fine. Judge says okay.

Now understand the landlord doesn't try to show she is menatally incompetent (Housing judges are very suspicious of such accusations) they try to get her evicted on the bad stuff she does, trash in hallways, noise, etc. But as a defense she uses her mental illness and gains sympathy from the court and so on and so on. Get the picture, it is messy and difficult and could take years, and I mean years. SO, if you are thinking a letter to the landlord will take care of it, think again. This city is laiden with social programs that will work on her behalf to keep her right where she is. Your landlord is highly motivated to do nothing. So I ask you again? Who's responsibility is it to meddle into this persons affairs and try to have her removed?

And getting her the proper care, is this humanitarian, or is having her removed from her house and getting her evicted unhumanitarian? I don't know, I'm sure she is a pain in your butt though! Good Luck!

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name