Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Unregulated heat in stabilized apartment in NYC

Posted by Phil Shore on September 04, 2000 at 14:46:39:

I have lived in a rent-stabilized apartment for the last three years in NYC.There is a bar bellow the apartment complex. In the bar they need hot water, however, that hot water comes into my apartment in excess of 200 degrees, at times. If it was 200 degrees all the time I could deal with it, but it never is and getting burnt by water in not a therapeutic feeling. In fact the constant excessive heat burns the washers in the water system (within 6 months of replacement) so, therefore, the water runs constantly thru the faucet. I called HPD and the landlord. HPD cannot figure out that according to health rules the temperature is not supposed to be above 115 degrees for hand washing, as the NYC health rules state.

I measured it with a meat thermostat.

Let me give you and example of how hot the water is. At the same temperature I cook my rice with it, and the water bubbles.

My landlord says he does not have the money to fix it and asked me for the loan to buy the apartment from him. I offered to buy the apartment for one hundred thousand cash to convert it to a condo and I will put in my own heating system with a proper water temperature, for my apartment alone. He will deduct the cost to convert the apartment from the one hundred grand cash. Is this fair?

The problem is the government takes two years to process the paper work to convert it from stabilized to Condo. Is this true?

And there are other consequences with the water running thru the faucet all the time. It t waste water in excess of thousands and thousands of gallons of water a year in just my apartment alone. Causing more problems to our Greenhouse affect problems in the world.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name