Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: noise problem - solutions anyone?

Posted by James Shoo on September 04, 2000 at 13:49:02:

In Reply to: noise problem - solutions anyone? posted by Vale on September 04, 2000 at 12:09:27:

Noise is a very, very difficult problem. I know that from experience as someone who has spent four months living above 20 somethings with a very loud stereo. One place to begin is the "Noisy Neighbors" link on the home page of this forum. I have posted another link below.

In your case, my strong opinion is that the next thing to do is get in touch with the landlord. If they won't answer your letter, call them or even visit in person. Don't expect the landlord to be interested in your peace and quiet. As long as rent checks keep coming in, many of them figure tenants problems (including noise) are not the landlord's problem! Anyone who doubts can take a look at the Mr. Landlord site. However in your case the noise IS hurting the landlord's wallet. Not only did the noisy neighbor drive the prior tenant out, she is actively encouraging you to move out also. If that keeps up there will always be a vacant apartment with no rent, and I would point that out to the landlord. If it is intolerable for anyone to live below your neighbor, perhaps a better solution would be for HER to move, to a downstairs apartment. The bottom line is that it's the landlord's place and s/he is the only one who can do anything, like get the carpet rule enforced.

The other thing you can do is take defensive action by using fans, air cleaners, ear muffs, and ear plugs to cover the noise up. These things can really make a big difference (although it is unfortunate people have to wear earplugs in their own apartments to cover the noise of others).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name