Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

noise problem - solutions anyone?

Posted by Vale on September 04, 2000 at 12:09:27:

I am a tenant in INWOOD. I moved into an apartment two months ago. Since that time there has been a noise problem from the tenants directly upstairs from me regarding their twin 2 year old boys. The twins' bedroom is directly above mine and they are hyperactive(their mother spoke to us about this). They run and jump on the floor every day - most often in the middle of the day, evening - and most bothersom - from 8:00am - 10:00am. I approached them the first day we moved in in a very friendly manner. First to try to get to know them and find out about their kids. When we told them about the noisy footsteps, they apologized and said they were trying to look for a house, but hadn't found one they could afford. Then they suggested that we move into another apartment in the building.

On our second meeting, during which, we were very amicable, she apologized and told us that the former tenants of our apartment ended up moving out because of the noise. We told them that our schedule was later(that we slept until 9 or 10am) and she told us that she would try to have them out on a walk in the morning.

On our third meeting, during which we brought cookies for them as a peace offering and wanted to get to know them better, we found that they have no carpeting on their floor(which I suspected). I mentioned this and that according to our lease and from what I believe is NYC law, they must have a certain percentage of floor carpeted. She said that the kids had spilled on it and it was too expensive to keep clean so she threw it out. Again, she suggested that we move to a different apartment. It's clear that she doesn't respect me. I love children and understand that they can be quite noisy, but she does live in an apartment building and thus, must be considerate of neighbors.

That is where I stand now. I have been woken up early in the morning about three times a week and bothered by the sound during the day and evening and am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how I can enforce their purchase of carpet. ie. withholding rent.(I've already written to the landlords about the problem, but haven't heard anything)

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated,

Vale Rideout

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name