Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord Rejected me because i was too young. Do I have legal options?

Posted by Kerry on September 02, 2000 at 01:59:46:

In Reply to: Landlord Rejected me because i was too young. Do I have legal options? posted by Jonathon Rosenthal on September 01, 2000 at 12:45:10:

You don't have any legal recourse, a landlord can reject you for all sorts of reasons, they could easily make the argument you don't have a proven credit record because of your age. How old could your credit history be anyway, at 21 years old? Why don't you offer them a guarantor?

And your overtly aggressive way of handling the rejection may have been a huge strike against you as well. I know some rental agents who deliberately tell clients they have been rejected just to see how they respond so they don't prove to be difficult tenants. Landlords hold agents responsible for difficult tenants.
Now these agents may be highly unmotivated to find you anything. If I can make an observation, you seemed to have over reacted and reacted in an immature way. Maybe the landlord made the right decision. I mean what if the hot water went out maybe you'd be ready for war.

Besides, you grow out of ageism (as you put it). You don't grow out of your sex, or your race. Just accept that 21 year olds pay higher car insurance for a reason. And don't equate your one set back to sexism or racism.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name