Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: 14% increase for renewal

Posted by kristin on August 22, 2000 at 10:45:40:

In Reply to: 14% increase for renewal posted by Jerome Kalifa on August 21, 2000 at 16:56:27:

i think your landlord is trying to pull a fast one. if there are rent stabilized apartments in your building then yours is too. although, technically, the rent for a stabilized apt should not go over $2000. you need to call dhcr (718-739-6400) and get them to send you a print-out of the rental history of your apartment. from this you can tell if your apt is indeed stabilized and what the rent should be. if you are stablized they can only raise your rent 4% a year. (it was 2% until this year) also allow a hike of 18% between your rent and the previous tennant.
if you are not stabilized, then the rent is pretty much up to the landlord, unfortunately. but the amount you said you pay is pretty outrageous. there has to be something better out there.
good luck.

: Hi,

: Sorry if my questions are very naive, but since I'm not American and even less a native New Yorker (I'm French), I'm quite unexperienced with New York's real estate, which is why I'm begging for some advice.

: I 've been renting a 1-bedroom downtown Manhattan since november 1999. I just received an offer by my landlord for the renewal of my one-year lease. He wants to increase the rent by 14%. I don't think this reflects the evolution of the market (which, according to Gabriel's guide and personal conversations, is rather seeing a decrease for downtown 1-bedroom appartements). What can you do in such a situation? Can I negociate? How far? And what's the best way to do it?

: Second, I know that there are rent stabilized appartements in my building. Mine is apparently not. Is it normal? How can I check if there's a possibility that my appartment should be rent stab?

: Third, when I signed the lease, I wanted to make it two years. The broker told me it was not possible, so we made it one year. Of course, it we had signed for two years, I would not face this problem. I assume I got screwed, but was it legal from the broker/lanlord to refuse?

: Fourth, there is a good chance I'm gonna leave NYC 10 1/2 months after the renewal of the lease, which means I'll have to quit the apparment 1 month 1/2 before the end of the new lease? What should I do to make sure that the landlord won't force me to pay for this period?

: Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot,

: Jerome

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name